The small brick structure near the river is an old waiting station for the Atlantic Northern Railway. This triangular shaped building, c. 1904-1905, is a fine example of an early 20th century substation.
Following the end of World War II, with the return of private automobiles and unrationed gas, the demand for trolley service nose-dived. The last trolley ran on January 31, 1947.
An Historic Preservation report, compiled by Ray and Associates, which gives a detailed history of the evolution of the structure and recommendations for its restoration.
The building has great potential in the context of the Riverway. Its position as a gateway is illustrated on the Photosimulation. Several possible re-uses include:
The 3500 feet of trail along the Chattahoochee River illustrated in this plan is a small part of an overall system designed to bring people back to the river. While the river now may seem an unlikely place to expect people to come to recreate - given the current industrial uses and general look of abandonment - the plan anticipates changing attitudes, cleaner water, and a cooperative spirit among various parties.
The riverway trail follows the gravel road
that leads from the Trolley Barn to the methane collection facility at
the base of the landfill. Several key connections will have to be made:
The view of the river is severely challenged
by the pervasive Kudzu vine. The Riverway should be seen as a model in
the fight against this invader.